The RPV-1 Generation 2 provides an updated platform for the widely used RPV-1 Polymer and Pulp Viscometer.
The RPV Generation 2 provides a compact modular viscometer system suitable for measuring a wide range of polymer applications.
The PSL Rheotek RPV-1 (2) Two position polymer viscometer system is suitable for measuring the dilute solution viscosity of a wide range of polymers dissolved in acids, organic solvents or water, including PA, PET, PVC, PLA, PBT, PC, PE, PP, Cellulose Acetate, Inks, bio-polymers and other.
RPV-1 systems are designed to be integrated with the SP-1 Sample Preparation system for polymers.
Other options include RPV275 Sample dissolution and RSS Rheotek Smart Sampler.
New features include:
- Gen.2 Viscometer Control Module with the latest embedded electronics
- Gen.2 nIR optical measuring heads
- A choice of viscometer baths - EVS Viscometer Bath (with built in solid state cooling) as well as the TCB-7 viscometer bath which can accommodate up to 4 measuring positions
- A wider selection of glass capillary tubes - ASTM Ubbelohde, (DIN) micro-Ubbelohde, RPVm, ISO 1628 Part 3 and ISO5351 (T and C tubes)
- Intrinsic Viscosity or IV is an important quality parameter for polymers. Measurement of IV of any polymer involves dissolving the polymer in a solvent and running the solution through a glass capillary viscometer. Exact procedures for all the commonly used polymers are given in International Test methods under ISO, ASTM, DIN, IEC, etc. Product specifications typically require the IV to measured on method compliant equipment.
The RPV-1 is ideally suited to Pharmaceutical applications, such as polylactides (PLA) and Hyaluronic acid (HA) - in accordance with US Pharmacopeia 911 (viscosity) and European Pharmacopeia Methods. The RPV-1 software is 21 CFR-11 compliant, and PSL Rheotek will provide IQ/OQ validation testing as well as annual maintenance.
At PSL Rheotek, we have been supplying process industry and medical laboratories with compliant instrumentation for 20 years.
- The PSL Rheotek RPV-1 (2) provides a reliable and precise system for measuring dilute solutions of polymers.
- The RPV-1 automates the manual steps set out in standard methods, minimizing the variability of results.
- Systems can be configured with 1 to 4 measuring positions. Other options include sample preparation, sample dissolution and auto sampler.
- Flow times are measured automatically using ASTM Ubbelohde viscometer tubes supplied with ISO 17025 certificates of calibration.
- Cleaning is carried out in-situ utilizing solvents and a safe vacuum system.
- The comprehensive RPV-1 software program records all measurement data as well as calculating a wide range of results.
ASTM D2857 Determination of the dilute solution viscosity of polymers.
Test Methods General:
ISO 1628 Part 1 Determination of the reduced viscosity, intrinsic viscosity and K-value of polymers in dilute solution using glass capillary viscometers
Test Methods Polyamides (PA):
ASTM D789 Determination of the Relative Viscosity of Polyamide (PA)
ISO 307 Determination of viscosity number Polyamides
Test Methods Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate) PET:
ASTM D4603 Determination of the Inherent Viscosity of Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate) PET
ISO 1628 Part 5 Determination of the viscosity number (reduced viscosity) of Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate) PET, poly (butylene terephthalate) PBT, poly (cyclohexylenedimethylene terephthalate) PCT and poly (ethylene naphthalate) PEN.
Test Methods Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC):
ASTM D1243 Determination of the Inherent Viscosity of vinyl chloride polymers in cyclohexanone.
ISO 1628 Part 2 Determination of the reduced viscosity (viscosity number) and K-value of PVC resins.
Test Methods Cellulose Acetate:
ASTM D871 Testing Cellulose Acetate
ISO 1599 Determination of Viscosity Loss on moulding of Cellulose Acetate.
Other Test Methods:
ASTM D445 Standard Test Method for determination of kinematic viscosity
ISO 3104 Petroleum products – determination of kinematic viscosity
IP 71 Section 1 Kinematic Viscosity
Typical RPV Applications And Configurations
|Polymer||Test Method||Solvent||Concentration||Temperature||RPV Measuring Positions|
|PA||ASTM D789||Formic acid||8.4%||25°C||2 to 4|
|PA||ISO 307||Formic acid||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|
|PA||ISO 307||Sulphuric acid||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|
|PA||ISO 307||M-Cresol||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|
|PET||ASTM D4603||Phenol/Tetrachloroethane||0.5%||30°C||1 to 4|
|PET||ISO 1628-5, DIN 53728||Phenol/Dichlorobenzene||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|
|PET||ISO 1628-5||Dichloroacetic acid||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|
|PVC||ASTM D1243||Cyclohexanone/THF||0.2%||30°C||1 to 4|
|PVC||ISO 1628-2||Cyclohexanone||0.5%||25°C||1 to 4|